our community conversations
the path forward
WHAT IS THE HARRISON COUNTY TOWN PLANNING INITIATIVE?
The Harrison County Planning Initiative is a grassroots effort that aims to help each town in the county identify a strategic direction for their future. It was identified through the Harrison County Leadership Planning Initiative, and Harrison County Community Foundation (HCCF) realized the potential that could result from providing the resources for each town to dream big. This process starts at the local level and is driven by residents and businesses in each town – basically the people who know their town best!
This initiative, funded by both HCCF and Lilly Endowment Inc.’s Giving Indiana Funds for Tomorrow (GIFT) VII Implementation Grant, will assist each of the County’s ten incorporated towns to complete a Comprehensive Plan and an Asset Management Plan, as required by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT). HCCF plans to initiate three comprehensive plans in 2021, four comprehensive plans in 2022, and three comprehensive plans in 2023. The overall schedule can be viewed on the Schedule & Process tab and individual community schedules can be found on the Town Plans tab.
The Harrison County Town Planning Initiative recognizes the vital role the ten incorporated communities play in inspiring positive transformation – economic, environmental, and social advancement in Harrison County. Our goal is to provide each community with a creative exercise that empowers you to think outside the box in identifying ways to enhance and improve the places in which you spend your time.
The ten communities involved in this Town Planning Initiative include Corydon, Crandall, Elizabeth, Laconia, Lanesville, Mauckport, Milltown, New Amsterdam, New Middletown, and Palmyra. Did you know the population of these communities range from 15 – 3,000 residents? In small towns like these, every voice is influential, every idea is valuable, every home is treasured, and every business is essential to the community’s ability to thrive. You are invited to inform, inspire, and implement your vision for the future! Find upcoming events in your community on the Town Plans page!
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
Comprehensive plans for Palmyra, Corydon, and New Amsterdam are currently in progress! The Lanesville, New Middletown, and Laconia plans have been completed and can be viewed on the town pages. Check out the individual community pages for information.
Harrison County - Help us identify the top challenges and opportunities the county is or will be facing over the next 10+ years! Take the survey today!
Town of New Amsterdam - Join us at Town Hall to review the big ideas for the future! Thursday, Sep 07 from 5:30 to 7pm at the New Amsterdam Town Office.
Town of Mauckport - The draft comprehensive plan is available for review and comment! Visit the Mauckport town page to review the draft plan.
Town of Corydon - The draft comprehensive plan is available for review and comment! Visit the Corydon town page to review the draft plan.
Town of Palmyra - The comprehensive plan is available for review and awaiting adoption by the county! Visit the Palmyra town page to review the draft plan.
Completed Plans - The first three comprehensive plans have been approved by the town council and adopted by the county! Visit the Lanesville, New Middletown, and Laconia town pages to review the final plan!
HCCF receives Implementation Grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. - The Harrison County Community Foundation (HCCF) has received a Community Leadership (Implementation) Grant of $90,000 as part of the seventh phase of Lilly Endowment Inc.’s Giving Indiana Funds for Tomorrow (GIFT VII) initiative. With the grant, the community foundation will provide resources and support for all 10 incorporated towns in Harrison County to create or update a Comprehensive Plan and an Asset Management Plan to leverage outside funding for infrastructure projects.
- Thu, Nov 02Harrison County Government OfficeHarrison County Government Office, 245 Atwood St #215, Corydon, IN 47112, USAJoin us at Harrison County Government Office on November 2 for the presentation of the draft Mauckport and Palmyra plans. The project team will ask the commission to approve the draft plans!
- Tue, Sep 12Heth Township Fire DepartmentHeth Township Fire Department, 7075 Central Dr SW, Central, IN 47110, USAJoin us on September 12th at 7pm at the Heth Township Fire Department in Central, Indiana to provide input regarding the SR 11 Extension area.
- Thu, Aug 31New Salisbury - Ramsey Fire Department SNew Salisbury - Ramsey Fire Department S, 1501 Hwy 64 NE, New Salisbury, IN 47161, USAJoin us on August 31st at 7pm at the Ramsey Fire Department Station 2 in New Salisbury to provide input regarding the New Salisbury Focus Area!
- Wed, Aug 30Elizabeth Mercantile parking lotElizabeth Mercantile parking lot , 8249 Beech St SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117, USAJoin us at the Elizabeth Mercantile parking lot starting at 5:00 PM to learn about the planning process and share your ideas for the future!
- Tue, Aug 29Corydon Town HallCorydon Town Hall, 219 N Capitol Ave #200, Corydon, IN 47112, USAThe planning board is responsible for planning the orderly development of the town. The project team will present the completed comprehensive plan for Corydon seeking a favorable recommendation for adoption.
- Tue, Aug 22Lanesville Heritage BuildingLanesville Heritage Building, 2800 Memory Ln NE, Lanesville, IN 47136, USAJoin us on August 22nd at 7pm at the Lanesville Heritage Building to provide input regarding the Lanesville Interstate Interchange!
- Mon, Aug 07Mauckport Town HallMauckport Town Hall, 12190 River Rd SW, Mauckport, IN 47142, USAPlease join us at Town Hall for a public open house! We would love to hear for you about the draft plan recommendations. Stop by anytime between 6:30 and 8:00pm to review the big ideas and top priorities.
- Tue, Mar 21CorydonCorydon, 219 N Capitol Ave #200, Corydon, IN 47112, USAPlease join us at Town Hall for a public open house! We would love to hear for you about the draft plan recommendations. Stop by the council meeting room anytime between 5:00 and 6:30pm to review the big ideas and top priorities.
- Thu, Mar 02Harrison County Government OfficeHarrison County Government Office, 245 Atwood St #215, Corydon, IN 47112, USAThe Harrison County Plan Commission is responsible for planning the orderly development of the County. The project team will present the completed comprehensive plans for Lanesville, New Middletown, and Laconia, to the Plan Commission seeking a favorable recommendation for adoption.
- Wed, Feb 08Palmyra Community CenterPalmyra Community Center, 13590 Greene St NE, Palmyra, IN 47164, USAJoin us on February 8 on Palmyra for the third public engagement opportunity! The open house will start at 5:00 PM at the Palmyra Community Center. Come prepared to review the draft plan recommendations!
- Thu, Jan 05Laconia Town HallLaconia Town Hall, 11605 N Tobacco Landing Rd, Laconia, IN 47135, USAJoin us on January 5 in Laconia for the second public engagement opportunity! The open house will start at 5:30 PM at the Laconia Town Hall. Come prepared to talk about the vision for the future!
- Mon, Nov 07Mauckport Town HallMauckport Town Hall, River Rd, Mauckport, IN 47142, USAJoin us on November 7 in Mauckport for the first public engagement opportunity! The open house will start at 5:00 PM at the Mauckport Town Hall. Come prepared to talk about the vision for the future!